Principal Software Engineer Lead
Principal Software Engineer Lead
At Volo, we’re on a mission to rebuild retail and deliver growth to brands, manufacturers and retailers. We’re capturing data from across the commerce ecosystem and using the latest in machine learning to generate intelligent retail recommendations – what to sell, where to sell it, how much of it you’ll need and the right price to sell it for.
Our company has received significant investment and our growth plans are exciting for anyone interested in the meeting points of cutting edge technology and retail.
Are you an innovative and strategic leader? Are you a creative and highly skilled Software Engineer looking for challenge in a market leading technology company? We are looking for someone who possesses strong expertise in building enterprise software applications with a clear passion for the technologies involved. The ability to push modern technologies to their limits is a must. You will be responsible for design and implementation of scalable, high performance solutions used by leading international retailers. Great communication skills are essential to be able to take on requirements and work alongside the Product Owner and users to spear head simple, innovative solutions that deliver the business efficiencies. You will inspire high-performing teams to deliver positive experiences for our customers in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Most importantly, you will evangelise the Volo vision with employees and customers in a fun and creative environment. If coding and designing world-class software products is something you eat, sleep, and dream – then you are ready to lead our software development teams.
- To act as a champion and promote a continuous learning culture along with best practice
- Ability to lead, inspire and develop a team of experts to deliver product improvements based on the product roadmap.
- Identifies and explores opportunities for product improvement and drives the analysis, identification, prioritisation and implementation of improvements and efficiencies.
- Strong understanding and application of most appropriate modern standards and practices in the industry
- Takes ownership and is passionate about coaching and guiding the software engineering team
- Ultimately responsible for the coding standards of the department and ensuring they are applied so that we are do work efficiently and of the highest quality.
- Provides Technical advice to the stakeholders and sets the organisational standard for programming tools and techniques.
- Ultimately responsible for the tools and frameworks used by the department to continuously improve the way we do things
- Able to translate user stories and propose design approaches and technologies to help achieve user stories
- Work with the Architects to improve overall software quality and testing efficiency through test automation
- Inspires individual teams to improve their working practices, both coding skills and process related.
- Delivers software that contributes towards Volos Product and Technology roadmap
- Work with the data science team to help translate prototypes and learning algorithms in to production features within the stack.
Key Skills and Experience
- An excellent team player, who leads by example and can help motivate others to succeed.
- Provide leadership through creating and inspiring vision and expertise in the development of new products/services/processes, frequently operating at the leading edge of technology.
- A strategic and transformational leader with the ability to motivate employees to buy in and deliver on the vision
- Strong knowledge and experience with software development, cloud computing services & infrastructure, application development platforms, and popular programming languages
- Deep experience with an Agile team, particularly in a continuous delivery environment
- Solid understanding of technologies including APIs, distributed systems design, operational scaling and availability, and application integrations
- Strong understanding of databases both RDBMS and NoSQL databases
- Experience in building high throughput, low latency applications
- Experience of inspiring and leading teams
- Ability to pick up new languages and technologies quickly, be a strong team player, and rapidly adapt to changing business and customer demands
- Excellent Knowledge of OO paradigms & Enterprise design patterns
- Experience in Java RESTful APIs both server side and client side
- Experience of working with Microservices
- Experience of reactive programming
- Experience in using dependency injection technologies (Spring, Guice and CDI)
- Experience with messaging systems, in particular any experience with Kafka would be advantageous.
- Excellent Understanding of Version control system (Git, SVN)
- Experience of unit, component and integration testing
- Experience of working with Continuous Integration (Maven, Jenkins and Bamboo)
- Experience of containerisation and container orchestration techniques (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Good understanding of Ecommerce world such as Online market places, order processing, inventory management, stock control
- Passionate about learning new programming languages, tools, patterns and techniques
- Experience in TDD and BDD development
- Experience with schema management solutions, such as the confluent avro schema registry
- Understanding of OAuth 2 based security and security best practices in general
Why work with us
- Competitive salary plus benefits
- 25 days of annual holiday plus your birthday off as well
- Relaxed dress code
- An ever-changing growth environment with plenty of opportunity to develop your career
To apply, email email@example.com.